Wednesday, March 26, 2003

KINDNESS IN CANADA



I lucked out at work last week, winning tickets to a hockey game last night between the Vancouver Canucks and Dallas Stars. As the ritual home game opening light and sound show began, I found myself wondering what the crowd reaction would be when the Star Spangled Banner was played. Would there be boos as there were in Montreal last week?



My anxiety vanished when an unknown soloist began belting out "Oh say can you see..." and the audience responded with loud cheers and applause. I couldn't stop the tears. Later on, as the game progressed and it became clear that I was cheering for the US-based Dallas Stars, a complete stranger came up to me during a break.



"So, are you from the United States?" he asked.



"Yes. San Francisco, California."



"Well," he remarked "I just wanted to let you know that we should be standing by you in Iraq. I can't believe that we aren't."



I thanked the man for his warm comments, which I know are shared by millions of Canadians. The friendship between our two governments may be strained right now, but I am greatly reassured that our country's struggle is shared by others in Canada and around the world. To all who may be reading and who support the US action to liberate the people of Iraq, please accept my heartfelt thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment