Wednesday, April 09, 2003

ON THE PRISON FOR TYKES



From James Lileks:
Allied troops liberated a children�s jail today.



I wish that sentence made no sense.



Someone had to decide there would be children�s jails. Who? Saddam? He had more important things to do. Children matter as much to his world as dogs, or lamps. He may have signed off on the idea of creating a youth brigade, and put a gold star in the dossier of the sweating toady who proposed the idea. When someone put forth a proposal for jails to hold the children who resisted joining the brigades, he may have felt that spasm of impatience that shoots through the dictator�s heart from time to time: why are you bothering me with this? Build them; I don�t care. You think this is the path to advancement? You want my ear and my eye, kill someone who matters.
Read the whole thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment