Saturday, August 28, 2004

George Foreman

No, this post isn't about his famous grill (I do love mine, though), it's about George finding Jesus. Mr. Foreman's conversion experience is remarkable:
Nowadays, the beloved bruiser-turned-minister sells grills and preaches the Word in his own church. Once upon a time, though, he was the meanest, most lethal cat around. His about-face began in 1977, after a tough split-decision loss in Puerto Rico.



"I started thinking, 'I could go home and retire. I got money. I could retire right now to my ranch and die,' " he told Beliefnet.com. "And before I knew it, that had taken over my whole conversation -- you're gonna die. I realized I was going to die in that dressing room from a boxing match. ... It was like someone dropped me off in the deep sea -- no help. There was no way I could get out of this."



"I saw blood coming down my forehead, and I hadn't been hit in the boxing match. And I told my masseur, 'You move your hand because He's bleeding and they crucified Him.' And I started screaming words I never screamed before, that Jesus Christ was coming alive in me. And I jumped in the shower, started screaming, 'Hallelujah! I'm clean, I'm born again, I'm going out to save the world!' And they said, 'You better put on some clothes first.' "
Other celebrity spirituality stories from the same article can be found here.



No comments:

Post a Comment